OK, so since I stink at book reviews, let alone series reviews, lets skip that and go right to the end. This'll be a spoiler alert, btw, you've been warned XD
OMG, the end. I thought it was awesome. And by awesome I mean that I cried for the entire second half. No, make that the whole thing. But seriously! Who wouldn't? Al sacrifices himself so that Ed might get his arm back and have a chance to save the world. And then the whole thing with Greed, and what he really wanted was friends like Ed and Ling's. And then Ed, giving up his alchemy to save his brother, and then the smiles! All the smiles that Ed's been dreaming about! And then there whole 'what kind of world it could be if everyone gave 11 in return for 10" idea. I thought it was almost* perfect.
*Almost perfect because I wish there had a bit more of Roy and Riza and the Xingese contingent. Ling & co. just barely stuck around for the finale :( And all we hear of Roy is that he's now a brigadier general and doing awesome things. I know that FMA is the Elric brother's story, but I wish a page or two had been spared for the other characters we've come to love.
Enough of that, headcannon time. In no particular order:
- Al always called Ed 'brother,' but after the human transmutation fiasco, when he saw how difficult is was for Ed to be smaller than his little brother, he started to call him 'big brother,' just to make him feel good. Because Al's just that nice.
- Ed encourages Al to have a relationship with May because May makes hi feel tall XD
- When Ling and Lan Fan return home, Ling spreads the story of Lan Fan's sacrifice far and wide until she's all but a national hero - the girl who sacrificed her arm to bring the secret of immortality back to Xing. Ling takes all the clans into Yao clan, or just abolishes the clan system all together, eliminating the need for 50 wives, and makes the by this point immensely admired Lan Fan his empress.
- Ed and Winry wait until the railroad between Xing and Amestris to be completed before their wedding so that Ling, Lan Fan, and May can attend.
- Roy and Riza....I don't know what I think will happen with them, yet, but I think they deserve some happiness. I know that they did horrible things in Ishbal, but they were not the masterminds, and are victims of the war too - not in the same way that Ishbalans were victims, but still victims. And I think that they have gone through hell enough times that they deserve some peace.
- Maria and Denny get married.
- Havoc and Rebecca get married.
- Roy and Riza ditch those awful haircuts the have in the pictures at the end of the book!
Six Fullmetal Alchemist Icons
Hope you like them, I'm not too thrilled with the EdWin one, but it's hard to find pics of Ed *not* making some dreadful face, and Winry not crying :(
Oh, and in other FMA news, we watch a feww episodes on YouTube the other night of FMA:B. Having fun trying to find the dubbed version not the subbed oneXD Anyway, it's good, and it follows the books really closely, which is always a plus.
Thanks for wading through all the incoherent-ness,
P.S..Like my new layout? Why, yes! I did do it myself....sort of...with alot of help...*is still insanely proud of self*